Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pride (In the Name of Love)

I am an incredibly happy citizen of the world right now - as most of the citizens of the world are!

Watching Barack Obama being inaugurated was an absolute treat. As too was the special concert that was organised on Sunday. Seeing U2 perform Pride (In the Name of Love) in front of the Lincoln Memorial - the very spot where Martin Luther King Junior uttered those words that would reverberate through history - was an emotional moment. It truly brought a tear to my eye. And Bono brought home the simple message that "it's not just an American dream, it's an African dream...an Israeli dream...a Palestinian dream." Some may differ in their views, but it was a powerful statement.



I've been watching a few things that have left me sniffling a little - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button also had me wiping away at my eyes. As with most good movies, it's based on a good story, written by F. Scott Fitzgerald. If you've seen the trailer, you'll know it tells the story of Benjamin Button (played by Brad "Gorgeous" Pitt) who is basically born as an old man in a baby's body. It's quite surreal and requires a suspended disbelief to truly enjoy.

It's directed by David Fincher - whom I met in Cannes two years ago when he premiered Zodiac - and was the man behind the spine-chilling thriller 'Se7en'. I won't give it away, but it's a love story and a life story too. And ten days before I get older with another year, I found its theme of aging and youth to be poignant.

Another great film is Happy-Go-Lucky, which is also not yet showing at cinemas, but will soon be. British actress Sally Hawkins won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical, and she is absolutely delightful to watch. A must-see, feel-good film with substance. Just love those kinds!

No comments: