Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Day I Met Sarah Jessica Parker

So in response to Trinny in Dubai's request, I thought I'd relive some great (or not so) interview moments. This one has to do with my ultimate of ultimates - well, for now, that is. It's when I was in London last year to attend the Sex and the City movie premiere and interview the cast of the hit series. It was like I had died and gone to Series Heaven.

I spent a fortune on my credit card to make sure I looked good in front of Patricia Field, the costume designer, as well as - of course - the fab four. I also got to speak to director Michael Patrick King; he was my first of the day ;-)

So, you get literally 5 minutes to interview each person. Chatting to him was great - he's a nice enough guy who tried to put on his best South African accent. It was endearing. Next up was Sarah Jessica - the woman I had been dying to meet. I had vowed I would be professional (as I am) and charming (as I am).

I had just interviewed MPK, and walked into the room where SJP was. I said hi, she said hi; I sat down, she wriggled in her chair. I switched on my equipment...and nothing. It would not go on. I wish I could say I froze, that would have been better, but no, it - that unreliable thing of technology - froze and it was not budging. I felt a slight panic enter my speech.

"I am terribly sorry about this, but my equipment seems to be acting up", I said, with a great big frown on my face.
"Oh that's okay, take your time," she said, as her publicist glared down at me.
I was horrified.
"No, it's not okay" I replied.
"Look," she answered back, "there are worse things in the world. Have you watched the News lately?"
I felt terrible, not only was my equipment stuck, but she was being nice about it.
"You can go and fix it and then come back."
"Okay," I said sheepishly as I picked myself and my can't-really-afford-it dress up and walked away.

Turns out the batteries just needed to be taken out and put back in again. That, for some reason, appeased my IPE (Irritating Piece of Equipment). When I went back in, it was like we went way back. And not because I had been stalking her in her apartment or favourite coffee shop or anything like that...why, never!

"Hi again," she smiled, twirling her hair.
"Sigh," I thought to myself. "Carrie Bradshaw really is my friend".


Of course, once it was over, my "friend" went back to her Hollywood life and I went back to Benoni.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for humouring me ;) And you look way hotter than SJP in the pic! xxx Trinny

Geraldine said...

Lovely story!
One great (and I assume not on purpose?)tyoe I noticed - his SA accent was "enduring"... It must have been a bad attempt LOL.

I still want to hear the story about the blood...

Geraldine said...

LOl I made a typo spelling typo...

*sheepish grin*

Toolz said...

WOW!!! That's soooo kewl!

Akona Ndungane said...

WOW!!!!
That is so awesome - I always knew she seemed nice.

kudos to you for not breaking down. The dress must have been a fantastic ego boost!!

Akona Ndungane said...

Thank so much for this post - I did one of my own. yippee!!