So, then, highlights and not-so-highlights, from someone who has "been there and done that":
5. The SAMAs stepping it up a bit - live webcast, nice goodie bags, attention to the TV show (the organisers brought in top notch director Julia Knowles).
3. The stage set-up - it looked fantastic, especially when HHP's Mpitse being brought to life on it.
2. District 9's Wikus van der Merwe making a cameo guest presenting appearance - and roping in "onse Charlize". Sharlto Copley's girlfriend told me it was set up and Charlize was in on the whole thing.
2. The stampede by the North West masses as they all tried to get to the afterparty - during which a friend's phone was jacked.
1. It felt to me like one big popularity contest - a lot of the awards went to the most popular artists of the day, and not necessarily because of the musical strength of the album/song in question.
Best Afrikaans Alternative Album winner Die Heuwels Fantasties' frontman Pierre - who is much taller without his beanie (and in general!)
Best Female winner - the gorgeous Lira
The wonderful Neo Muyanga from Blk Sonshine - nominated for Best Adult Contemporary Album, English